Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Taking the jump. Now what?

As a young child, I took swimming lessons at our local pool. Since we lived in Washington state at the time, most pools were indoor; including the one where I took my lessons.  I can still remember the smell as you walk in. You probably know what I'm talking about.... the damp air heavy laden with the smell of chlorine. I love that smell.  Here in California, I don't get to many indoor pool areas, so I miss that smell.

As I venture into this thing called "blogging",  I'm reminded of the swimming lessons of my youth. In particular, sitting on the bleachers and watching as everyone jumps off the high dive; the signal that lessons were over and you had completed that session.  For a young girl, this was a huge thing! The moment you've been waiting for; the moment you've seen everyone else do, and accomplish. And all the sudden....it's here.  I'm standing on the edge of that high dive, after climbing the long ladder up, and I'm ready to jump.

 Now what?  I've jumped and I'm thinking, "OH my!!".  This is exhilarating and frightening at the same time--just like this blogging thing.  I'm very rusty as a writer and add in the technology aspect and I feel like an alien from another planet, but I am going to give it a try.  Just like that little girl who took the jump off the high dive, I'm jumping in with two feet.  

~Reggie

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Reggie! I, too, remember that chlorine smell. Your words reminded me of that first time I climbed the ladder of the high dive and the terrifying jump off.

    I like your "About Me", too. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! (And, oh do I have memories of public pools and high dives. Great analogy.) Welcome to the blogosphere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo! Reggie's blogging! Welcome and have some fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I add my welcome too. Bloggers are a friendly and accepting lot. we won't be bashing you for being a newbie. So go ahead and jump in with both feet. we are all here to help.

    ReplyDelete