Saturday, January 15, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things. Part One

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, Brown paper bags tied up with string, These are few of my favorite things."



So sings Julie Andrews in the classic show tune from The Sound of Music. She had her favorites--those things that made her happy or made her smile; maybe even just pause for a moment and reflect. We all have them. Some may have a monetary cost and some like "raindrops on roses" may cost nothing at all, but the simple joy that they bring the recipient is priceless.

As I was emptying the dishwasher the other day, I pulled out one of my favorite things; a deep porcelain mug decorated with motifs from Paris.  The mug is white with a violet band of color wrapped around it. On this band are several postcards of varied photographic views of the Eiffel Tower--these cards are black and ecru with fancy cursive writing in sayings like "Bonjour Paris", "L'amour Toujours", and "C'est Chic Paris". This mug with a  matching saucer and was a gift from a very good friend and her daughter many years ago.  We had been shopping at a local French boutique and as a surprise they bought it for me.  Many mornings I have taken that mug out of the cabinet or dishwasher and filled it with fresh coffee or tea and it has always brightened my morning, but as I took my mug from the washer this time,  I noticed something different about it.  I noticed a large chip.

One of the things we are working on in the house is dividing the chores. With five people in the house, the dishes and laundry and dust and dirt and wear, etc, etc seem to be adding up. So, I have given over some of the chore of doing dishes to my older two children.  Now,  let me tell you that my son can empty the dishwasher in less than 5 minutes! However, just like those old typing tests I used to take, his speed may be high, but his accuracy is quite lacking, thus what I can only assume was the fate of my mug. <sigh> My mug is not the same now.....

Fortunately, the chip is on the side and the exposed porcelain is smooth, so I am continuing to use the mug. I have a new found love for my favorite warm beverage container.  If you look closer at it you will see some coffee or tea stains, some fine scratches way down in the bottom from cleaning, and the bottom is well worn from being picked up and put down countless times over the years.  To put it bluntly, I am very much like this mug; a bit worn from life and its experiences. However, instead of looking at the downside of an aging vessel,  I'm learning to look at these as character building flaws. So it is my goal, at least.

What's one of your favorite things?

~Reggie

P. S. The above video version is Pomplamoose's indie version of the song--just to freshen things up.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when kids "help"? Bummer about the chip, but you've twisted it into something poetic. When my oldest puts dishes away, I'll never know where they'll be - it's hide and seek every time! Hmm, favorite things...rare quiet time, and accomplishing needed tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that I am having a hard time thinking of a favorite thing. I can mention fav memories, people, situations, but no things come to mind.

    I think it is funny because I am very much a pack rat. And yet if I don't have any favs, why in the world am I holding onto this stuff.

    Hmmm. I am having an epiphany here. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete