Wednesday, August 17, 2011

HELP

I was thinking today about the word "help". What does it mean to ask for it, to need it, to give it. As I get older, I notice that I don't ask for help as much. I am teaching the meaning of it to my children--especially that if they need something or are struggling with something they should ask for assistance or help. So, why is it as adults we get stuck and forget or refuse to engage in the same advice. 

Maybe we (or me) struggle with something that we think no one can help us with. Or it's too small and insignificant. Are we robbing ourselves of the benefits of asking for and receiving help?  I love the story of Moses (in Exodus) where Moses' father-in-law steps in and tells him to ask for help.  His father-in-law saw that what he (Moses) was doing was overwhelming and  "... you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone."  Alone.... that's a good word. 

Self-reliance is overrated! Sure we need to be able to stand on our own two feet, etc., but when we begin to close ourselves off or think we can do it all on our own, we begin to dig ourselves a hole that is hard to get out of. That is where I am very thankful for those around me that I can ask for help.  My hope is that I give to others like those that give to me. The friend you can call at 2 o'clock in the morning, the shoulder you can cry on, the one who sees a need and helps you with it; I'm grateful for them. 

~Reggie




2 comments:

  1. Hi, Reggie,

    I just took some time to catch up on all your posts that have passed me by. You have such wonderful thoughts and insight. I think you're probably correct that some adults stop asking for help, but then there are those who are old enough to realize the value of help and readily ask for it! I think I'm definitely graduating into the latter group. :-)

    ReplyDelete