Monday, March 14, 2011

Thoughts of Japan


Postcard image of Mount Asama
It would be almost impossible to not recognize or be aware of the situation in Japan, at present. Even upon the writing of this, the story is still unfolding; it's a tragic story. One whose ramifications  we will all feel in one way or another. However, my goal is not to focus on the doom and gloom that is and may lay ahead, but rather to remember a country that is one of my favorites to explore.

In the summer of 1993, I spent 3 weeks in Japan visiting family friends. During this time we travelled to different regions of the country and spent many hours talking to Japanese college students who were eager to converse (in English) to Americans. It was a wonderful time for me, a Geography major, who loved cultural experiences. The people were gracious and hospitable. The older generation was more steeped in tradition, but the younger ones loved to talk politics and pop-culture.  Former President Clinton was a hot topic at the time and the Japanese loved to ask questions about him.

Omotesando Dori, Tokyo, 1993.
Presently, 100,000 cars drive down this street daily. 
Spending an extended period of time in another culture leaves its mark on you. I remember having thoughts of what Japan would be like, but nothing really prepared me for the modern, technologically advanced country that I experienced during my stay. The Land of the Rising Sun surprised me with its evergreen beauty, moonlit rice fields,  magestic mountains, and miles of coastline (it is an island nation with over 6800 islands to it's name) along with the uber-dense metropolis that is Tokyo and its surrounding prefectures. I was introduced to new and interesting flavors in food (not your typical sushi) and was thoroughly impressed by its state of the art technology. In a funny sidenote, only in Japan have I seen and used a gold plated bathroom, including toilet that was outfitted with more features than I could think posssible!

This country holds a fond spot in my heart. And right now, especially, I'm praying for its people.

~Reggie

3 comments:

  1. Japan has been on my mind as well, along with so many other citizens of the world. Thank you for the reminder of happier times in such a wonderful and interesting nation.

    BTW- did you take any photos of the gold plated toilet seats? I've never heard of such a thing. I knew that some of the seats are heated- ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew there were 6800 islands! Yes, we should keep these people in our prayers, Reggie! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, somewhere buried away, I have a pic of the toilet. The bathroom was black and gold and it was in some fancy store we visited. The street I'm standing on the corner of is like the Champs-Elysee of Tokyo. It's a beautiful tree lined street with high end stores. I remember having a nice day of window shopping with my sister!

    Michelle, There's 6852 islands in the Japanese Archipelago! I find that sooo fascinating. This country is keenly aware of the ocean.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete