Sunday, March 27, 2011

Time....

Often I stumble upon things through what I like to call, "the rabbit trails of my thoughts". They hop and skip and jump all over the place; like that old game of Telephone where one person whispers a phrase or word in the ear of the person next to them and then that person turns and passes what they hear on to the next, until the last person hears it and announces what they've been told. Quite often, the end result is far off from the beginning.

So, today I was reminded of one of my favorite hymns as we sang it in church-- "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee". Set to the tune of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, its words are descriptive and set my mind ablaze with  wonderful word pictures.  Songs about nature typically do that for me and I can't think of a better analogy for rejoicing and many things in life than nature and her surroundings. The author of this hymn was Henry Van Dyke, a writer, poet and essayist who lived during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

You may be wondering what Mr. Van Dyke's hymn has to do with time.  Well, that is where the rabbit trail begins.  Time has been on my mind a lot lately, no pun intended, and while researching time, I happened upon a quote from Henry. So, I thought it seemed appropriate to put all the pieces together and come full circle with my thoughts.

"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”




I could not say it better myself.

~Reggie

1 comment:

  1. Reggie, there are some songs at church that do that for me, too. "In Christ Alone" is one that comes to mind right now. Time can definitely be our friend, or we may feel like it's betraying us. Either way it marches on - I like the quote, so true.

    ReplyDelete